Monday, October 26, 2009

Where would you like to get killed?

Ahh, the slasher movie...

While a sub genre of horror, the slasher has many of its own SUB sub genres... If you can think of a place/situation/holiday, chances are there has been a slasher movie made to accomodate it. Of the many, many types of slasher movies out there, there are those that I will seek out and watch just because of the locale. Whether the movie is a hidden gem or a real stinker, I'll give it a shot. And after it's had it's fair chance to wow me or let me down, I'll still give it the benefit of the doubt.

These are my top 3 slasher sub genres.

The SCHOOL Slasher:



Anytime there are horny students eluding a psychopath with some pointy implements of destruction you can count me in! Whether it's crazy Mary Lou possessing students to exact her revenge or the teacher turning the tables on the students in Hell High, I can't get enough. I hardly went to school when I was supposed to, now I yearn for it... in the movies anyway.

The CAMP Slasher:



I worked at a summer camp through my teen years... in the woods of Maine. We would watch these movies and tell scary stories, then walk through the woods to a haunted camp a mile away and scare the crap out of each other. Whatever it is, I love me some camp slashers. Even if they stink, I'll watch 'em and enjoy 'em. Don't Go In The Woods...Alone!, Final Terror, Friday the 13th part 3, Madman... they are all aces in my books.

The CHRISTMAS Slasher:



I love Christmas. It's a time for families to come together. It's a time to let people know you appreciate them. It gets dark and cold out, so people bundle up. Everything is just cozy and quaint... That is why Christmas slashers work so well for me. Let's keep everyone on edge by taking all those familiar holiday sights and giving them a twist of evil. Black Christmas, Silent Night Deadly Night, Christmas Evil, The Gingerdead Man... While good Christmas slashers are few and far between, they always give the gifts that seem so appropriate to us horror fans.

So there you have it. If a movie takes place at a school, a camp or at Christmastime I'm going to watch it!

And I'll probably like it too...

No comments:

Post a Comment