(this article was originally written by me and posted by Stacie Ponder on the phenomenal Final Girl blog as part of the "Friday the 13th Blog-A-Thon, July 13th, 2007)
It’s Friday the 13th. You all know that. And I wanted to do something special to celebrate it. By ‘something special’ I mean watch the movie series. Again. It seems that’s all my unmotivated,
unimaginative brain can muster every Friday the 13th. But this time is different. I was challenged to take part in THE “Friday The 13th Blog-a-thon” (for the uninitiated, try to make finalgirl.blogspot.com a regular part of your information/entertainment diet). I’m not saying that watching the F13 movie series on this every-so-often pseudo holiday is a bad way to celebrate. Quite the opposite. I just need some inspiration from time to time.
Now, in front of you is a list. I know, I know. You’ve already looked ahead and you’ve noticed that this list has 13 entries. 13 of them! You're thinking, "Chris, that's just plain crazy!" But, this being a special day and all I’ve decided to pull out all the stops. This list contains the first 13 things that come to mind when I think of the Friday the 13th movies. The entries are in no particular order. I hope you enjoy this very special ‘Top 13 Things That Come To Mind When I Think Of The Friday The 13th Movies.’
1. Near the end of “Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood” when Dr. Crews and Mrs. Shepherd are looking for Tina, Mrs. Shepherd is yelling “Tina! Tina!” I always wanted to tell her to stop, because what a terrible sound she makes.
2. Grown-up Tommy Jarvis is some sort of kung Fu champion. He really knows how to mix it up in “Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning.” I’m always impressed.
3. During most of the 90’s I worked at a summer camp in Maine. There was a “haunted camp” a few miles away through the woods. At night we would go there and try to scare each other, of course inspired by the Friday movies.
4. I always laugh at the end of “Friday the 13th Part 2” when Paul and Ginny take off Jason’s mask and look at his face. After being shocked at Jason’s deformities, Paul says “Jesus…” I always try to picture it like a Scooby-Doo ending and when they unmask the killer Paul says t hat because he thinks the killer WAS Jesus.
5. In “Friday the 13th” Annie is talking to you-know-who. “I guess I always wanted to work with children. I hate when people call them kids. Sounds like little goats. But when you’ve had a dream as long as I have, you’ll do anything.” What the crap is she talking about?! And what does she mean by ‘anything?’
6. The banana eating hitchhiker in “Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter” is one of my favorite characters in any of the movies. And her premeditated reaction to the insults she knows she’s going to get from people is awesome.
7. I bet being picked up and slammed against a tree while in a sleeping bag would really suck. So, I hope that never happens to me.
8. Once, my friend and I watched all the Friday movies and wrote down a list of the ways everyone died. Man, after all these years I still can’t figure out why we thought that was a good idea.
9. Crispin Glover is a wacky dancer. Is that the way he dances in real life?
10. When I was 13 years old, my friends and I decided that we looked old enough to get in to see “Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan“ in theaters. The plan was to tell our parents that we were going to see “Weekend at Bernie’s.” Apparently, we forgot to take into account the ticket booth guy’s common sense, because he busted us. And because we got a ride to the theater and were stranded there for the duration, we decided to go see “Weekend at Bernie’s.”
11. Another stupid conversation, this time from “Friday the 13th Part 3.” Rick is talking to Chrissy as he’s putting bails of hay in the barn. “I realize I’m just a dumb country boy and my feeling really don’t matter, but this is the sweat of a worker on my forehead, not of a lover. Now, I believe that there is a time and a place for everything. And now’s the time, and now’s the place, if you know what I mean.” No, Rick I don’t know what you mean. Who wrote your crappy dialog?!
12. For whatever reason, “Friday the 13th Part 3” is a perfect Halloween movie for me. I watch it every year.
13. At the beginning of “Friday the 13th Part 3” Harold walks toward his house and accidentally knocks over a stick holding up the laundry line. His wife immediately yells out the window at him, “God damn it Harold! I spent all day yesterday washing your clothes. Look what you’re doing to them. You know I work very hard around here trying to keep up with you and all your sloppy habits. And I get no help from you at all!” It’s just funny to me how quickly she is on
this poor guy.
Enjoy your Friday the 13th. I’m going now to watch the movies. Again.